POSITION: FIRE CHIEF / State of Arizona
The position of State of Arizona Fire Chief will be responsible for the daily management of fire department operations in Maricopa, Pima, Pinal and Yuma Counties. The Fire Chief will manage all aspects of the department through a chain of command of area Assistant Chief and Deputy Chiefs. Statewide operations consists of 27 fire stations, 500 employees, 3 separate labor unions, approximately 35 fire apparatus and 20 ambulances.
This exempt management position plans, organizes and directs the emergency service operations of a market level, full service fire/EMS/rescue emergency response agency. He/she represents the company in emergency service matters at the local area, state, and national levels.
Directs planning, organizing, controlling of assigned budget units in accordance with all company philosophies, strategies, goals, objectives, principles and procedures. Responsible for creating annual revenue and operating plan to achieve profit and loss objectives in the areas assigned.
Coordinates core business functions and planning with other Fire Chief’s across the enterprise to assure best practices and optimal economies of scale.
- Visit all direct reports weekly, including any secondary markets and any acquisition locations, markets under new management, markets with a record of poor audit performance.
- Coach and develop management team to achieve individual and marketplace revenue, operating profit, and expense goals and objectives.
- Maintain relationships with strategic local municipalities and political leaders.
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly, and annual operational activity and performance reporting.
- Monitor and manage key performance indicators and operational performance data.
- Be experienced and knowledgeable in working with a labor union and within the confines of a collective bargaining agreement.
Profit & Loss Objectives
- Operate to meet or exceed operating profit objectives.
- Maintain full employment within the assigned market.
- Manage local relationships to optimize profitability.
- Responsible for managing the success of assigned market’s Accounts Receivable.
- Manage assets within the market to control expense.
- Accountable for fiscal management of the assigned market.
- Identify underperforming operations or operations at risk.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Create a culture that provides exceptional service at all levels.
- Develop recovery and action plans.
- Create an environment to ensure Rural/Metro is the employer of choice.
- Maintain an in-depth and complete knowledge of competitor activity within the market.
- Analyze intelligence data and provide recommendations for future action plans.
- Develop brand and name awareness.
- Represent the Company at political events, trade shows, recruitment events, industry meetings, etc.
- Make recommendations on acquisitions and expansions.
Human Resource Management
- Ensure that staffing requirements are met within the market and work hand-in-hand with HR to ensure that positions are filled quickly and that quality candidates are hired and retained.
- Work with assigned Human Resource Managers to identify training locations, interview candidates, and train new employees.
- Use Succession Planning process to build an organization, identify and retain talent, and prepare employees for senior management positions.
- Provide visionary leadership and strategic thinking.
- Provide environment of cross-functional support between all zone, corporate and field segments within company.
- Provide direction to direct reports to initiate appropriate levels of training, and to promote an environment consistent with Rural/Metro culture throughout the Division.
- Overall accountability for Collective Bargaining Activities and issues within the market.
- Conduct timely and informative meetings with staff. Cascade information in a timely fashion.
- Manage salaries within established compensation guidelines.
- Overall accountability for compliance with Company policies and procedures as well as compliance.
- Works effectively with Administrative Support to ensure a detailed, organized and highly efficient approach.
- Support corporate initiatives.
- Complies and enforces all policies and procedures.
- Ensures and inspects paperwork for accuracy and compliance.
- Responsible for escalating concerns regarding questionable paperwork to appropriate management.
- Has successfully completed all required Compliance Training within the required time period.
- A working knowledge of MS Office.
- Use data from different sources to identify issues and quickly identify the central or underlying issues in a complex situation.
- Travel frequently throughout the market.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Personal Beliefs and Traits:
- Target-oriented and result-focused management style. Ensure subordinates understand what is expected of them.
- Possess entrepreneurial qualities including the ability to motivate and mobilize a field team.
- High energy level and high degree of self-motivation.
- Display a sense of urgency and be an effective strategic planner.
- Build “people bank” and bench strength. Establish a track record for developing promotable people to meet organizational needs by providing the necessary tools and feedback needed to maximize performance and success.
- Demonstrate initiative.
- Exhibit high degree of social, ethical, and organizational norms.
- Dissatisfied with mediocre performance. Set high standards for self and others. Monitor progress and provide constructive feedback.
- Display a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a stable disposition despite external pressure and opposition.
- Demonstrate an open managerial style and positive attitude that impacts others in a positive way.
- Bachelor degree from a four-year college or university, or ten years related experience and training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years managing a field operations team preferably at a Chief office level.
- Applicants should have advanced fire service or management training such as NFA Executive Fire Officers' program
- Proven ability to develop annual operating plans with clearly defined objectives and target markets.
- Proven and consistent track record for meeting and exceeding P&L targets.
- Proven knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations as applied to the fire service and the ambulance industry.
- Proven knowledge of “best practices” information sources and organizations available to fire service leaders.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, couch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
Occasionally: Walking inside and outside, pushing, pulling, may lift and carry no more than 50 pounds.
Frequently: Lifting and carrying no more than 10 pounds, typing 40 wpm, stooping, bending.
Constantly: Hearing/listening, clear speech, touching, seeing, and typing.
Cognitive/Psychosocial Requirements & Mental Requirements:
Occasionally: Analyzing, judgment.
Frequently: Memorization, perception/computation, problem solving, simple and complex math skills, reasoning.
Constantly: Simple reading and writing, clerical, decision making.
Frequently: Repetitive tasks, high pressure.
Occasionally: Fatigue, intense tasks
Occasionally: Multi-media equipment for training purposes, voice recorder tape system
Frequently: Use Company and/or personal owned vehicle for business purpose
Constantly: Telephone, computer, mouse, keypad, calculator, copy machine, stapler, 3-hole punch, postage machine, fax, scanner, cell phone and/or blackberry, laminating machine, and printer
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Works around others, works alone, face-to face and verbal contact with others, inside, noise, extended day.
Constantly: Works with others, face-to-face and verbal contact with others.