The Mining Battalion Chief shall serve as a working Supervisor and shall be responsible for the supervision of the shift ALS Medic Team. The Battalion Chief will report directly to both the Regional Director or designee and the client’s Shift Safety Supervisor or designee. The Battalion Chief will be qualified to initiate Incident Command and possibly serve as Incident Commander at the scene of any type of emergency. These emergencies could include, but are not limited to, HazMat, Fire, Rescue (confined space and high angle), Medical, and Oil Spill Response. This will be a non-exempt position.
The Mining Battalion Chief will be responsible for the ALS response members under their supervision. The Battalion Chief will be expected to acquire a working knowledge of all emergency response equipment used at the site, as well as proper maintenance and inspection of such equipment. This equipment may include, but is not limited to, all apparatus, ambulances, extinguishers, monitors, clinic supplies, and IH equipment. The Battalion Chief will be responsible for the training of mine medics for process within the mine. The Battalion Chief will be responsible for delegating duties to ALS members to make sure all required tasks are completed on time. The Battalion Chief will be responsible for the proper record retention, whether paper or electronic, of required compliance related inspections.
- Meet or exceed budgeted operating profit objectives in area assigned.
- Drive toward increased market share by supporting objectives for conversion, penetration, and retention within the assigned operation.
- Drive increased business growth.
- Visit all direct reports daily (during the work week), including any secondary operations, as assigned, and any acquisition locations assigned.
- Coach and develop supervisory team to achieve individual and operational revenue, operating profit, and expense goals and objectives.
- Maintain relationships with strategic local municipalities and political leaders.
- Monitor and manage key performance indicators and operational performance data
Profit & Loss Objectives
- Operate to meet or exceed operating profit objectives.
- Maintain full employment within assigned area.
- Manage local relationships to optimize profitability.
- Manage assets within the area assigned to control expense.
- Accountable for fiscal management of area assigned.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Create a culture that provides exceptional service at all levels.
- Create an environment to ensure Rural/Metro is the employer of choice.
- Maintain an in-depth and complete knowledge of competitor activity within the area assigned. Analyze intelligence data and provide recommendations for future action plans.
- Develop brand and name awareness.
- Represent the Company at recruitment events, industry meetings, etc.
- Make recommendations to the Regional Director on possible acquisitions, or new markets.
Human Resource Management
- Ensure full employment within the area assigned and work hand-in-hand with senior management and HR to ensure that positions are filled quickly and that quality candidates are hired and retained.
- Work with senior management and HR to identify training locations, interview candidates, and train new employees.
- Use Succession Planning process to build the organization, identify and retain talent, and prepare employees for promotion.
- Provide direction to direct reports to initiate appropriate levels of training, and to promote an environment consistent with Rural/Metro culture throughout the area assigned.
- Conduct timely and informative meetings with staff. Cascade information in a timely fashion.
- Overall accountability for compliance with Company policies and procedures as well as compliance in assigned area.
- Works effectively with the Regional Director to ensure a detailed, organized and highly efficient approach.
- Support corporate initiatives.
- Complies and enforces all policies and procedures.
- Ensures and inspects paperwork for accuracy and compliance.
- Responsible for escalating concerns regarding questionable paperwork to appropriate management.
- Has successfully completed all required Compliance Training within the required time period.
- Has had no compliance related corrective action during the current review period.
- A working knowledge of MS Office.
- Use data from different sources to identify issues and quickly identify the central or underlying issues in a complex situation.
- Travel occasionally.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Target-oriented and result-focused management style. Ensure subordinates understand what is expected of them.
- Possess entrepreneurial qualities including the ability to motivate and mobilize a field team.
- High energy level and high degree of self-motivation.
- Display a sense of urgency and be an effective strategic planner.
- Build “people bank” and bench strength. Establish a track record for developing promotable people to meet organizational needs by providing the necessary tools and feedback needed to maximize performance and success.
- Demonstrate initiative.
- Exhibit high degree of social, ethical, and organizational norms.
- Dissatisfied with mediocre performance. Set high standards for self and others. Monitor progress and provide constructive feedback.
- Display a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a stable disposition despite external pressure and opposition.
- Demonstrate an open managerial style and positive attitude that impacts others in a positive way.
- Associates degree from a two-year college or university, or 10 years related experience and training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability to develop annual operating plans with clearly defined objectives and target markets.
- Proven and consistent track record for meeting and exceeding P&L targets. Able to deliver on plan and achieve goals.
- Proven knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations as applied to the EMS service.
- Proven knowledge of “best practices” information sources and organizations available to EMS service managers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Operational BC must be able to pass NFPA standards for physical standard and pass local physical agility test.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, couch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
Occasionally: Walking inside and outside, pushing, pulling, may lift and carry no more than 60 pounds.
Frequently: Lifting and carrying no more than 20 pounds, typing 40 wpm, stooping, bending.
Constantly: Hearing/listening, clear speech, touching, seeing, and typing.
Cognitive/Psychosocial Requirements & Mental Requirements:
Occasionally: Analyzing, judgment.
Frequently: Memorization, perception/computation, problem solving, simple and complex math skills, reasoning.
Constantly: Simple reading and writing, clerical, decision making.
Frequently: Repetitive tasks, high pressure.
Occasionally: Fatigue, intense tasks
Occasionally: Multi-media equipment for training purposes, voice recorder tape system
Frequently: Use Company and/or personal owned vehicle for business purpose
Constantly: Telephone, computer, mouse, keypad, calculator, copy machine, stapler, 3-hole punch, postage machine, fax, scanner, cell phone and/or blackberry, laminating machine, and printer
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Works around others, works alone, face-to face and verbal contact with others, inside, noise, extended day.
Constantly: Works with others, face-to-face and verbal contact with others.